Nethravathi Trekking: A Complete Guide to Netravati Peak Trek in Karnataka

Nethravathi Trek in August through a rainy and green mountain trail in Karnataka
Walking through the rain and muddy trails during my Nethravathi Trek in August


Nethravathi Trekking: A Complete Guide to Netravati Peak Trek in Karnataka

Nethravathi Trek starting point in Karnataka
Nethravathi trekking base camp


Nethravathi Trekking is one of the beautiful trekking experiences in Karnataka’s Western Ghats. Surrounded by green mountains, shola forests, grasslands, misty valleys and fresh mountain air, the Netravati Peak Trek is an excellent choice for people who want to experience nature away from busy city life.

Located in the Kudremukh region of Karnataka, Netravati Peak is known for its scenic landscapes and peaceful trekking trail. The route combines forest paths with open grasslands and beautiful mountain views.

If you are planning a Netravati Peak Trek from Bangalore, this guide will help you understand the location, trekking distance, difficulty level, best time to visit, things to carry, safety tips and what you can expect on the trail.

Important: Trekking routes, forest permissions, entry rules and guide requirements can change. Always confirm the current rules with the forest authorities or an authorised trekking operator before starting your journey.

Netravati Peak Trek at a Glance

View from Nethravathi Trek after walking through the monsoon trail



Trek Information                                Details
Location                                              Chikmagalur region, Karnataka
RegionWestern Ghats
Nearby villageSamse
AltitudeApproximately 1,520 metres
Trek distanceAround 12–14 km round trip, depending on the route
DifficultyEasy to Moderate
Trek durationAround 5–7 hours
Trail typeForest, grassland and mountain trails
Best timeOctober to February
Guide/permit
Check current forest rules before trekking

The distance and altitude figures vary slightly across trekking operators and route descriptions, so it is better to treat them as approximate rather than fixed numbers.

Where Is Netravati Peak?

View from Nethravathi Trek after walking through the monsoon trail


Netravati Peak is located in the Western Ghats of Karnataka, in the Chikmagalur region and close to the Kudremukh landscape.

The commonly used approach is around Samse and the Kalasa region. Bengaluru is roughly 320–330 km away by road, depending on the route.

The journey itself is part of the experience. As you travel towards the Western Ghats, the busy city atmosphere slowly disappears and is replaced by coffee plantations, forests, winding roads and green hills.

Why Is Netravati Trek Special?

Just look at this view and you can understand Why Is Netravati Trek Special?


There are many famous treks in Karnataka, but Netravati has a different charm.

1. Beautiful Western Ghats Landscape

Chikmagalur region karnataka western ghat.


The trail takes you through different landscapes. You can experience forest sections, open grasslands, rolling mountain slopes and wide views of the surrounding hills.

The scenery changes as you climb, which makes the trek interesting from beginning to end.

2. Shola Forests

The forest section gives you a completely different trekking experience.


The forest section gives you a completely different trekking experience.

The shade of the trees, cool air, sounds of birds and damp forest trail create a peaceful atmosphere. During the rainy season, the forest becomes especially green and beautiful.

3. Open Grasslands

Open Grasslands of Nethravathi After rain


After the forest section, the landscape opens up.

The green grasslands and mountain ridges are among the biggest attractions of Netravati Trek. On a clear day, the views can be spectacular.

4. Mist and Clouds

unpredictable weather is one of the reasons Netravati feels magical.


The weather in the Western Ghats can change quickly.

You may start your trek under a clear sky and suddenly find yourself surrounded by clouds and mist. This unpredictable weather is one of the reasons Netravati feels magical.

5. A Rewarding Summit Experience

Reaching the top after walking through forests and grasslands


Reaching the top after walking through forests and grasslands gives you a wonderful feeling of achievement.

On clear days, trekkers can enjoy panoramic views of the surrounding Western Ghats and nearby peaks.

How Difficult Is Netravati Peak Trek?

Muddy and slippery trekking trail during Nethravathi Trek in Karnataka monsoon


Netravati Trek is generally described as easy to moderate, but don't mistake that for an effortless walk.

The trail includes continuous walking, uphill sections and a steeper final portion. Some descriptions also mention false peaks, which can make the final climb feel longer than expected.

Is Netravati Trek Suitable for Beginners?

Not only for professional even Nethravathi trekking is also beginner friendly


Yes, fit beginners can attempt the trek, especially if they have some basic walking or hiking experience.

You do not normally need technical climbing skills, but you should be comfortable walking several kilometres and climbing uphill.

Before the trek, you can prepare by:

  • Walking regularly
  • Taking stairs instead of lifts
  • Doing light cardio
  • Practising uphill walking
  • Improving your stamina gradually
  • Getting enough sleep before the trek

The important thing is not speed.

Walk at your own pace and don't try to compete with other trekkers.

Best Time for Netravati Trek

You can experience a real journey with my video link.



Choosing the right season can make a big difference.

October to February – Best for Beginners

This is generally considered one of the most comfortable periods for trekking.

You can expect:

  • Pleasant weather
  • Cooler mornings
  • Better trail conditions
  • Good visibility on many days
  • Beautiful post-monsoon greenery

October and November can offer a particularly good balance between greenery and more manageable trails.

June to September – Monsoon

2nd Video link of Nethravathi trekking :



The Western Ghats become incredibly beautiful during the monsoon.

The hills turn deep green, clouds cover the mountains and streams and waterfalls become more active.

However, monsoon trekking also means:

  • Slippery trails
  • Heavy rain
  • Mud
  • Leeches
  • Reduced visibility
  • Sudden weather changes

Therefore, beginners should be particularly careful during this season.

March to May – Summer

Summer can be warmer and more tiring for a long uphill trek.

If you plan to trek during this period, check the weather and current forest restrictions before travelling.

Nethravathi Trek in August: My Real Experience of Rain, Mud and Waterfalls

Nethravathi Trekking was not something I experienced on a bright, dry morning with a perfectly comfortable trail.

I started my journey in August, right in the middle of the rainy season.

And honestly, I am glad I did.

The rain made the trek more challenging. The trail became muddy and slippery, and walking required extra care. But at the same time, the rain gave the entire journey a different beauty.

And there was one more surprise waiting for us.

Just a few minutes after starting the trek, we came across two beautiful and high waterfalls.

beautiful and high waterfalls in the way of Nethravathi just after few minutes trekking.




Seeing those waterfalls in the middle of the monsoon was simply amazing.

This is my personal experience of the Nethravathi Trek in Karnataka—the rain, the slippery trail, the waterfalls, the guide, the language barrier and my own decision to enjoy the mountain slowly rather than rushing towards the top.

Just after few minutes we found 2nd beautiful waterfall


My Nethravathi Trek Experience

Before I start describing the trek, I want to make one thing clear.

I am not a professional trekker.

I am simply someone who enjoys travelling, nature and experiencing new places.

So when I started the Nethravathi Trek in August, I knew that trekking during the peak rainy season might be difficult.

But I also knew one thing:

I wanted to enjoy the journey.

I didn't want to treat the mountain like a race.

I wanted to walk slowly, look around, enjoy the rain, take photographs and feel the surroundings.

And that became one of the most memorable parts of my Nethravathi experience.

Nethravathi Trek in August: Rain Was Part of the Adventure

August completely changed the character of the trek.

There was rain.

There was mud.

There were slippery sections.

And sometimes, every step had to be taken carefully.

The trail wasn't always comfortable, but I didn't mind it.

In fact, I enjoyed the rainy atmosphere.

The mountains looked fresh and green, the air felt cool and the whole landscape had that beautiful monsoon feeling that you simply cannot experience in the same way during a dry season.

Of course, trekking in heavy rain isn't for everyone.

If you are planning a monsoon trek, you need to be prepared for wet and slippery conditions.

Good trekking shoes with proper grip are extremely important.

And yes, your clothes may get dirty.

But perhaps that's part of the fun!


The Best Surprise: Two Beautiful Waterfalls

3rd You tube Video link of Netravati trekking



For me, one of the most memorable moments came surprisingly early.

Only a few minutes after we started trekking, we saw two beautiful and high waterfalls.

I wasn't expecting that.

The sound of falling water, the greenery around us and the monsoon atmosphere made the sight incredible.

The waterfalls were flowing strongly because of the monsoon rain.

Standing there and watching the water fall from such a height was one of those moments when you simply forget about the difficulty of the trek.

You are no longer thinking about how many kilometres are left.

You are just looking.

And enjoying.

Sometimes the best part of a trek isn't the summit. It is the unexpected beauty you discover along the way.

The Muddy and Slippery Trail

The beautiful rain also brought another challenge—mud.

Some portions of the trail were quite muddy and slippery.

Walking carefully became necessary.

At times, I had to slow down even more and concentrate on every step.

For an experienced trekker, this may not seem like a big deal.

But for someone who doesn't regularly trek, slippery terrain can make the journey considerably more difficult.

Still, I would describe the difficulty as manageable.

It wasn't easy, but it was okay.

And because I was enjoying the surroundings, I didn't feel that the difficulty ruined my experience.

Instead, it became part of the adventure.

I Didn't Want to Rush the Trek

There was another interesting part of my experience.

Our guide was a good person and he was helpful in showing us the route.

But there was one major problem.

We Had a Language Barrier

Our guide didn't know Hindi or English.

And we didn't know even a single word of Kannada.

So communication was extremely limited!

He was with us mainly to show us the direction.

We could follow where he was going, but having a proper conversation or asking detailed questions wasn't really possible.

It was almost like:

He knew the route.
We followed the route.
And somehow, we understood each other!

But jokes apart, his presence was important.

A Guide Is More Than Just Someone Who Walks Ahead

When trekking in an unfamiliar area, a guide's role is important.

A guide should ideally:

  • Know the trail
  • Help trekkers stay on the correct route
  • Understand the local terrain
  • Explain important safety points
  • Help the group manage the pace
  • Warn trekkers about difficult sections
  • Assist if someone faces a problem
  • Help the group complete the trek safely

In our case, because of the language barrier, our interaction with the guide was limited.

But his knowledge of the route was still valuable.

The Guide Was Walking Faster Than Me

There is another thing I want to share honestly.

I wanted to enjoy my trek slowly.

I wanted to stop sometimes, look at the scenery, enjoy the rain and take photographs.

But our guide was walking a little faster.

Perhaps he was simply used to trekking at that pace.

Perhaps he had another reason.

And maybe, considering my age, he thought I would need more time and wanted to keep the trek moving according to his schedule.

Whatever the reason, I sometimes felt that I was being encouraged to walk faster than I wanted to.

And that is why, if I had been completely free to choose my own pace, I probably would have spent two or three more hours enjoying the trek and staying longer at the top.

It wasn't because we were lost.

It wasn't because the route was confusing.

And perhaps that is something every trekker should remember :

A Trek is not a race.

A Trek is not a race.

Especially when you are travelling for the experience rather than for a fitness challenge, there is nothing wrong with taking your time.

My Pace, My Age and My Trek

I don't want to hide the fact that I am not in my twenties.

As we grow in my middle age, perhaps we don't have the same speed or stamina that we had when we were younger.

But does that mean we should stop exploring?

Absolutely not.

Maybe I walk a little slower.

Maybe I need more breaks.

Maybe I want to spend more time looking at a waterfall instead of simply passing it.

And that's okay.

For me, travelling is not about proving how fast I can walk.

It is about collecting experiences.

So if you are also someone who prefers a slower pace, don't feel embarrassed about it.

The mountain isn't going anywhere.

Walk according to your ability, listen to your body and enjoy the journey.

What I Loved Most About Nethravathi Trek

If I had to choose the best things about my Nethravathi Trek, I would say:

🌧️ The Rain

The August rain gave the trek a completely different atmosphere.

💦 The Two Waterfalls

They appeared very early in the trek and became one of my favourite memories.

🌿 The Green Landscape

The monsoon made everything look fresh and alive.

👣 The Adventure

The muddy and slippery trail added a little challenge.

🏔️ The Feeling of Reaching Higher

Even when the climb became tiring, there was a wonderful feeling of moving higher into the mountains.

❤️ The Experience

Most importantly, I got to experience something outside my normal routine.

And sometimes that is exactly why we travel.

What Should You Carry for Nethravathi Trek in Monsoon?

If you are planning a monsoon trek, prepare for getting wet.

I would recommend carrying:

  • Good trekking shoes with strong grip
  • Raincoat or poncho
  • Waterproof backpack cover
  • Extra clothes or lower.
  • Extra socks
  • Water bottle
  • Small snacks (not in plastic bag, like wafferes or packaged food.
  • ORS/electrolytes, for summer trip)
  • Sunscreen
  • Cap
  • Sunglasses
  • Fully charged Mobile phone.
  • Waterproof pouch for electronics
  • Small first-aid kit
  • Personal medicines
  • Towel or small cloth

And don't carry an unnecessarily heavy bag.

Every extra kilogram feels heavier when you are climbing a mountain!

During Monsoon

Add:

  • Waterproof backpack cover
  • Extra socks
  • Quick-dry clothes
  • Leech protection
  • Waterproof phone pouch

Do not depend completely on mobile network. Remote forest areas can have limited connectivity.

What Should You Wear?

Wear comfortable clothes that allow you to walk freely.

Good trekking shoes are much more important than fashionable clothes.

For monsoon trekking, quick-drying clothes are preferable.

Avoid:

  • New shoes
  • Slippers
  • Smooth-soled footwear
  • Heavy jeans
  • Excessively heavy backpacks

Your goal is simple:

Comfort first, fashion later!

Netravati Trek Safety Tips

A beautiful mountain is still a mountain.

Keep these points in mind:

Stay With Your Group

Do not walk alone in unfamiliar forest areas.

Follow the Guide

If a local guide is assigned to your group, follow the instructions regarding the trail, forest areas and safety.

Carry Enough Water

Do not assume that every stream is safe for drinking. Carry your own drinking water and use only reliable water sources.

Respect Wildlife

Never disturb animals, birds or insects.

Do not try to feed wildlife or approach wild animals for photographs.

Don't Litter

Carry your waste back with you.

The mountains give us beautiful memories. The least we can do is leave them clean.

My Advice for First-Time Nethravathi Trekkers

If you are planning Nethravathi Trek for the first time, my biggest advice is simple:

Don't make the trek a competition.

Someone may walk faster than you.

Someone may reach the top before you.

Someone may take fewer breaks.

Let them.

You have your own body, your own stamina and your own reason for travelling.

Walk at a comfortable pace.

Take photographs.

Enjoy the rain.

Stop when you need to.

And if you see something beautiful, look at it instead of worrying about reaching the summit five minutes earlier.

Don't Forget the Waterfalls

If you are planning this trek during the monsoon, keep your eyes open from the very beginning.

For me, those two waterfalls appearing just minutes into the trek were a wonderful surprise.

They reminded me that sometimes we become so focused on reaching our destination that we forget to notice what is happening around us.

The destination is important.

But the journey has its own story.

How to Reach Netravati Trek from Bangalore

For travellers coming from Bengaluru, the journey generally takes several hours by road.

A common travel plan is:

Bangalore → Chikmagalur/Kalasa region → Samse → Trek starting point

The exact starting point and transfer arrangement can depend on the current permitted route and the trekking operator.

Many organised groups travel overnight from Bangalore and begin the trek after reaching the base area the following morning.

What About Public Transport?

You can travel towards the Kalasa/Chikmagalur side by bus and then arrange local transport towards the trek base.

However, because the final approach can involve local roads and forest access, first-time trekkers may find an organised trek or local authorised guide easier.

Forest Permission and Guide

This is one of the most important things to remember.

Netravati lies in a protected Western Ghats forest landscape, and trekking access can be subject to forest department rules.

Do not simply arrive at the forest and assume that you can start trekking.

Before your trip:

  1. Check the current entry rules.
  2. Confirm whether a permit is required.
  3. Confirm whether a registered guide is mandatory.
  4. Check the authorised starting point.
  5. Confirm whether trekking is open on your chosen date.

Current trekking sources indicate that permits and guide arrangements are an important part of the trek.

Nethravathi Trek: What I Learned

My Nethravathi Trek taught me something very simple.

Travel doesn't always have to be comfortable.

Sometimes rain is part of the experience.

Sometimes mud is part of the experience.

Sometimes a language barrier becomes part of the story.

Sometimes you have to walk slower than others.

And sometimes the most beautiful memories come from things you didn't plan.

For me, Nethravathi wasn't just about reaching a peak.

It was about walking through the rain, carefully crossing muddy trails, watching beautiful waterfalls and experiencing the Western Ghats in a completely different way.

And yes, I would happily do a beautiful monsoon trek again.

Maybe next time, I will tell my guide in advance:

“Please don't hurry me. I have come here to enjoy the mountain!” 😊

Is Nethravathi Trek Worth It?

For me, yes. Absolutely.

If you love nature, rain, mountains and adventure, Nethravathi can give you a memorable experience.

But don't expect a perfectly comfortable walk, especially during the monsoon.

Go prepared.

Wear proper shoes.

Carry rain protection.

Listen to your body.

And most importantly—

Enjoy the journey instead of worrying only about the destination.

Frequently Asked Questions About Nethravathi Trek

1. Can I do Nethravathi Trek in August?

Yes, trekking in August can offer a beautiful monsoon experience, but the trail may be muddy and slippery. Always check the current forest access rules and weather conditions before travelling.

2. Is Nethravathi Trek difficult during monsoon?

The trek can become more challenging during the monsoon because of rain, mud and slippery sections. In my experience, it was somewhat difficult but still manageable.

3. Are there waterfalls on the Nethravathi Trek?

Yes, during my August trek, I saw two beautiful and high waterfalls just a few minutes after starting the trek. Their flow was especially impressive during the rainy season.

4. Do I need a guide for Nethravathi Trek?

The requirement can depend on current forest regulations and the authorised route. A guide can also be valuable because the trail may be unfamiliar to visitors.

5. What if the guide does not speak Hindi or English?

This can make communication difficult. In my case, our guide was a good person, but because neither side knew the other's language, his role was mainly to show us the route.

6. Can older people do Nethravathi Trek?

It depends on individual fitness, stamina, health and weather conditions. Older trekkers should not compare their pace with younger trekkers. Taking breaks and walking slowly is perfectly fine.

7. What shoes are best for Nethravathi Trek?

Choose comfortable trekking shoes with good grip, especially if you are trekking during the monsoon when the trail can become muddy and slippery.

8. What is the best season for Nethravathi Trek?

The best season depends on what kind of experience you want. The post-monsoon months can offer greener landscapes with more manageable trail conditions, while the monsoon can provide a dramatic rainy-season experience but with greater difficulty.

Final Thoughts

When I look back at my Nethravathi Trek, I don't remember only the climb.

I remember the rain.

I remember the mud under my shoes.

I remember walking carefully on the slippery trail.

I remember the two beautiful waterfalls appearing almost immediately after we started.

I remember our friendly guide walking ahead of us, even though we could hardly communicate with each other.

And I remember wanting to slow down.

Because I didn't want to simply finish the trek.

I wanted to live it.

Maybe that is the real meaning of travelling.

We don't travel only to reach a destination.

We travel to collect moments that stay with us long after we have returned home.

And Nethravathi gave me quite a few of those moments.

Have You Ever Done a Monsoon Trek?

Have you ever walked through a muddy trail in heavy rain and still enjoyed every moment?

Tell me about your experience in the comments.

And if you are planning a Nethravathi Trek, I hope my experience helps you prepare for both the beauty and the challenges of a monsoon trek.

For more personal travel stories, nature experiences, trekking adventures and beautiful destinations, keep reading Aparichita.

CTA

Enjoyed my Nethravathi Trek experience? Explore more travel stories on Aparichita and follow my journey through mountains, temples, nature and offbeat destinations.

Shikha Bhardwaj

Welcome to Aparichita! I'm Shikha Bhardwaj, a blogger passionate about sharing knowledge and life experiences. Here you'll find practical guides on blogging, SEO, AI, finance, travel, spirituality, and personal growth—all designed to help you learn, grow, and stay inspired

Post a Comment

If you have any doubt, please let me know.

Previous Post Next Post